What Does it Mean to Live a Hygge Lifestyle? Here’s Everything You Need to Know…
Hip2BeHome may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Hygge is a term that’s quickly taken over the home decor and lifestyle industry. Whether it’s a new term to you or you’re already living Hygge, here’s what it is and why everyone should want to live their best Hygge life!
What does Hygge even mean?
“Hygge is a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).”
Hygge is a lifestyle; a way of living. Like feng shui, it’s not just one thing – it’s many things that bring you happiness and contentment to your life. Here are a few examples of Hygge essence:
- Wearing a warm, cozy sweater on a chilly day.
- Sipping a warm cup of coffee.
- Snuggling up next to a fire with someone you love.
- Watching a snowfall while you sip some hot cocoa.
- Lighting some candles and taking a bath.
- Redecorating a home with sentimental pieces.
- Reading a good book in your favorite nook.
- …And the list could go on and on.
The Hygge lifestyle then vs now.
Hygge is old news to Danish culture (after all, they did start this lifestyle trend way back in the early 1800s)! The Dutch first discovered Hygge in a written language which was derived from a Norwegian word for “well-being”.
Fast forward to 2017, and it’s totally (finally) exploded, to say the least. Instagram’s #hygge is trending at well over 5 million posts, and even Pinterest predicted Hygge would be one of the hottest home decor trends of 2017. 😱 There are also numerous books about Hygge you can find on Amazon which have been published in the past couple of years.
Here’s why living Hygge is important.
If you haven’t heard of Hygge, you may be wondering why it’s even important. Living a Hygge lifestyle is definitely a personal preference, but one thing is for sure: embracing it with open arms should make you feel cozier at home, less stressed, and happier.
Denmark consistently makes it to the top of The World’s Happiest Countries list every year (according to USA Today) and ranked 2nd overall in 2019. This is largely attributed to their Hygge-inspired lifestyle. I don’t know about you, but I know I want to live my happiest life possible.
Here’s some serious Hygge home inspiration.
This is Hygge. And when it comes to getting totally down with Hygge at home, I’m so inspired by Marzena’s gorgeous Instagram. It’s packed full of coziness and the most beautiful scenes that anyone would enjoy relaxing in. It’s the epitome and definition of living a Hygge lifestyle.
Here are 5 of my favorite Hygge finds for your home:
1. Chunky knit throw blanket
A huge chunky knit blanket will add texture and so much coziness no matter where you put it. Cozy up with it in the fall and winter for the ultimate Hygge experience.
2. Amazing-smelling candles
It’s no secret that Anthropologie has some of the best candles on this planet. The irresistible smells, aesthetics, and long burn times are just a few reasons why they’re so great.
Hip Tip: Don’t want to splurge on the cost of an Anthropologie candle? Check out all of the other candles we love (many are priced under $10!).
3. Cozy throw pillows
There’s nothing quite like cozying up with a velvety soft throw pillow… or ten. 😉 These are our favorite throw pillows that you’ll definitely love lounging on.
Hip Tip: See just how extreme your pillow obsession really is!
4. A diffuser
A diffuser is a great way to make your home smell amazing with natural essential oils. And with the perfect mixture, you’ll also feel more relaxed living that Hygge lifestyle.
5. Bath bombs
Self-care is a big part of living a Hygge life (if you’re not happy, you’re not doing it right). Scoop up a box of bath bombs and indulge in some much-deserved relaxation time. And if you really want to share the love, grab some boxes as gifts for all your loved ones.
Other ways to hack your home & lifestyle to be more Hygge.
Get Hygge with it: To improve your way of living (and to eliminate stress), try these tips for all things Hygge:
- Less electronic time: Spend more time being present and less time in front of your phone and social media.
- Better work/life balance: Take a much-needed vacation from work, so you have time to unplug.
- Exercise: Find an exercise that makes you feel good. Get outside for a walk, take the dog out, or try yoga. Exercise will reduce stress hormones, improve your sleep, and make you feel more confident.
- Simplify: Whether that means organizing your pantry, getting rid of clothes you don’t wear, or becoming a minimalist, removing clutter and visual distractions will help you feel more relaxed.
- Buy with meaning and purpose: The Danish really curate their way of living by buying only things which possess both meaning and purpose. Reevaluate why you’re really buying something from now on. If you’re buying just because it’s trendy, it’s probably best to pass.