This DIY Push Pin Travel Map is a Clever Way to Track Your Adventures
Hip2BeHome may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Love to travel?
Keep track of where you’ve been by creating a fun corkboard map to display at home. Today I’m sharing how I turned a laminated placemat map and piece of foam cork board into a clever DIY push pin travel map. It’s a unique way to commemorate all your adventures and to serve as a reminder to always keep exploring!
We LOVE to travel, so this board is where we have lived and traveled as a family!
I love the memories of traveling with our kids and the real-life education it brings. We specifically enjoy visiting national parks, and we wanted to start keeping track of what we’ve seen so we can start planning future trips. As you can see, we still have lots of ground to cover as a family, and this makes it more exciting to start dreaming of where to explore next!
There are two ways to display your brilliant cork board map!
You can display it on its own on a bookshelf (shown above). If you have the wall space and want to hang it up, you can also frame it (as seen below). I framed mine by removing the glass from a 16×20 wood frame, painted the backing with black chalkboard paint, and then attached my map to the front.
- Choose a map you’d like to use! I decided to buy a laminated placemat of the US and use it, but you can use a map of your choice. Maybe a map of the world would be fun for world travelers!
- You’ll need some cork board for this project. I used a piece of cork foam board from the craft store, and it worked out great! I initially tried to use a roll of cork, and it was just too thin #craftfail. The foam will add the thickness to allow you to use a push pin easily.
- Cutting the foam cork board is a little tedious, but it will be worth it, so don’t give up! I felt like it was easier to have the map hanging off the table a little, and carefully cut using a precision craft knife.
- Use a bit of sandpaper to smooth jagged edges. I had a lot of jagged edges with the foam board, but luckily all it needed was some gentle sanding to make it look neat.
DIY Push Pin Cork Board Travel MapPrint
- 11x17 placemat map
- cork foam board
- precision knife
- piece of sandpaper
- push pins
- spray glue adhesive or double sided tape
- 16x20 photo frame *if framing
- paint for back of frame
I think this is such a creative family project.
We really enjoyed putting together our map and are pretty psyched about it! It’s a cute and easy craft project that’s unique to display in the home as well. Additionally, it’s a great geography lesson and a visual reminder where all the states are located. Have fun creating yours!