9 Ways to Achieve the Coastal Farmhouse Look
Hip2BeHome may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Think coastal and farmhouse decor can’t coexist? You might be surprised! Both popular styles offer a relaxed, light, airy, and oh so cozy vibe. Here are the best ways to achieve both looks (or to even transition from one to the other) in your home decor.
1. Start with the perfect paint color to suit your space.
Below are some gorgeous, neutral, paint colors to freshen up your space and provide the perfect canvas for your coastal-farmhouse haven. Because if you have eggplant (or chartreuse) on your walls, you’re not truly living coastal or farmhouse #roomgoals just yet. 😉
- BM Revere Pewter – a beautiful greige, suitable for all over.
- BM Gray – the perfect cabinet refresh or accent color.
- SW Pure White – a timeless & crisp neutral white that’s gorgeous anywhere and everywhere.
- SW Alabaster – a creamy white to cozy up your space or to repaint furniture.
- BM Ozark Shadows – the perfect cabinet refresh or accent color.
Hip Tip: What a mess-free, peel-and-stick way to paint sample your new colors? Check out Samplize paint samples!
2. Pull your room together with a jute rug.
The relaxed look of a jute rug and the warmth of texture and brown neutral tones will pull your farmhouse and/or coastal space together. Plus, they’re great for layering if you love having more than one rug.
3. Choose rustic, beachy lights.
Abbyson Azure Clear Glass 27.5-inch Table Lamp (Set of 2) – $208+
Great lamps set the mood. These light and airy glass lamps are reminiscent of recycled beach glass, while the oversized bases scream farmhouse!
4. Update your old kitchen and bathroom hardware with brass.
Brass is back, and it’s giving rustic vibes with the fresh color that also complements coastal living. The shiny, new Martha Stewart brass hardware line is an affordable option to update your cabinetry.
5. Add coziness with the perfect linen throw pillows.
Farmhouse Burlap Linen Trimmed Tailored Edges Throw Pillow Case Cushions (set of 2) – $19.99
Nothing screams beach house more than linen, and I also love that this affordable set of linen pillows also has a burlap border for the perfect, subtle farmhouse feel.
Note that these throw pillows only include the cushion covers – NOT the actual inserts. However, you can buy the inserts here.
6. Add some potted houseplants to liven things up.
- Silk Tree Warehouse 5-foot Artificial Bird of Paradise Palm Tree Potted Plant – $105.98
- Hearth & Hand with Magnolia Terracotta Planter – $59.99
With the right planter, you can make any beachy houseplant meet farmhouse right in the middle. Coastal or farmhouse, I personally love a tall banana leaf plant like this gorgeous one from Amazon.
7. Choose the right wood accents.
Is it driftwood or salvaged wood? That’s the real question. Incorporating simple, wooden decor with elements of both the land and the sea will beautifully marry both farmhouse and coastal designs.
8. Get a new basket (or two).
Better Homes & Gardens Large Natural Water Hyacinth Boat Baskets, Set of TWO – $37.94 for Both, ONLY $18.97 per Large Basket
Baskets are so useful and can totally cozy-up a space. A beautiful woven or seagrass basket is just what your coastal farmhouse ordered!
Hip Tip: Make sure to check out our post on 13 different ways to use a basket around your house!
9. Update old furniture with slipcovered staple pieces.
Birch Lane Heritage Slipcovered Sofa – $1,159
Slipcovered furniture invokes sand and sea – even when the beach is actually 1,000 miles away. The cozy look of these timeless pieces also doubles as farmhouse chic.
Now, create a cozy new space with your favorite pieces!
I may be biased, but there’s nothing cozier than a coastal farmhouse. Now that you’ve created the perfect space, it’s time to curl up on the couch with loved ones and enjoy it all!
Sara (firstname.lastname@example.org) loves sharing decor that inspires people on a budget and finds joy in traveling to new places.