Make a DIY Planter Box Out of Inexpensive Decorative Tiles
Hip2BeHome may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
We’re sharing a fun craft idea that uses inexpensive and stylish pieces of tile!
Make a pretty DIY planter box by gluing pieces of ceramic tile together! It’s a fun and easy DIY home decor idea that can add some style to your space that’s also cheap to make. If you have leftover tiles from a home improvement project, this is a great way to use them!
Anyone else love these popular tiles?
I’ve been obsessed with these black and white tiles and looking for a way to incorporate them into my home. This is a smart way to get on board with a trendy tile design, without having them be a permanent feature like flooring or wall tiles.
Use 6 or 8-inch sized tiles for this DIY planter.
It’s completely up to you which size tile to use, but I wouldn’t go larger than 8 inches, because of weight for the glue. I picked up these 6×6 square tile from Lowes, and these 8×8 inch square tiles from Home Depot. The best part is that they are priced around $1 each, so this is a pretty inexpensive project if you use 8 to make a planter!
- Use a construction adhesive. Not just any super glue will work here. You need a thick glue, like Liquid Nails or Gorilla Construction Adhesive. I used both of those brands, and they worked pretty much equally for this project.
- If possible, have someone help. I had my son help hold tiles up for me, and it went so much smoother having an extra set of hands to hold tiles in place while the adhesive sets up. I then placed heavy items around the outside of planter to help support the weight of tiles while they dried overnight.
- Pick up some small potted plants already in containers, either faux or real, and set them in the planter once finished. This way you don’t have to fuss with drainage and soil.
- Consider placing adhesive cork bumpers under the tile planter to prevent scratching your furniture. You can also make trivets and/or coasters with the leftover tiles using the bumpers, too!
DIY Ceramic Tile Planter BoxPrint
- 8 square-shaped tiles (either 6x6 inch or 8x8 inch)
- construction adhesive (such as Liquid Nails or Gorilla Glue)
- small potted plants (real or faux)
I love how these cute planters turned out!
It’s such a clever way to use tile pieces as a creative project idea. I love that it was easy to do, and you can customize it using different colors that would match your home’s decor.